Friday, September 5, 2008

The Remains of the Day (III)

The ending was a surprise to me. I really wanted Miss Kenton, or Mrs. Benn, and Stevens to become a couple. Like I stated previously, I thought that something happened between them that made Stevens shameful and made her leave. I see the ending as ironic because Stevens even cries in the end. Of course he is not the happiest person; he feels that his past was lost, but he does appear to take it well. After he finishes crying, he states that he will do something different for a change and make new friends and will have “bantering” more often. Though he does regret his past, he somehow find comfort in knowing that he has a second chance (which is the complete opposite of the book “One Hundred Years of Solitude”) with the new American owner. I would have liked Stevens to go through a complete new identity change, but he still remains the stiff, awkward butler he started out as. The only difference is that he has learned to move on and try new things.

No comments: